Last July my partner and I decided to get a puppy. We were torn between a French bulldog and a sausage dog but I’d seen a litter of Miniature Dachshunds had recently been born not so far from us, so I arranged a viewing and that was that – 4 weeks later we were going back to collect our little Rolo.
Look at his big eyes and paws! I have always loved miniature dachshunds since I can remember. Who couldn’t love their long bodies, cute, little stumpy legs and mischievous eyes? So if you’re thinking of getting one, or just interested in them as a breed I thought I would you my experience with Rolo and a little bit of what to expect.
So a few things you should know:
- They are very dependent and needy and will follow you everywhere. If we are sat on the sofa he has to be touching both of us or he won’t settle, even if it’s just by a paw. Not that this is a bad trait because I find it adorable and makes them extremely loyal – But be aware if you leave them for a few hours! Rolo almost wets himself with excitement when we get home, even if we have only gone to take the bins out, but he will sulk just as quickly. He sometimes sits in the corner of the room which his back to us.
- Don’t be fooled by those puppy dog eyes, they are extremely stubborn little things. They will soon start to think they are the boss of you, unless you put a stop to it. It would have been so easy for me to just let Rolo off for all the little naughty things he does, but its important to firmly tell them no and ensure they stay on their bed. At first Rolo was in a cage so we shut him in there, he cried like crazy but after a while he would go to his cage on his own after he did something he shouldn’t.
- They can suffer with back problems so you have to watch their weight. Rolo is a greedy little thing and will eat a whole bowl of food in seconds. But they quickly gain weight which will add to the stress and pressure on their spines.
- They like to sleep…A LOT!!
- They are extremely lovable, be prepared for lots of cuddles and kisses.
- As Rolo has gotten older he uses his snout for moving things, even my arm or leg if he wants to lay somewhere or get more comfortable. But he sometimes does this on doors or tables and above his nose can get prone to scabs and become raw. I used some vaseline and sudocrem on him when this happened.
- They also have lovely shiny coats so look after them, a bath and a brush every week or after a muddy walk.
- You may think getting a sausage dog will get you off dog walks, but they love the outdoors and walking. Rolo can run for hours and loves a good walk.
Sorry for the picture heavy post, I’m like a proud mum showing everyone pictures of my baby!
Do any of you have a Miniature Dachshund or are you thinking of getting one? If you do I would love to hear from you.
Love Lucy and Rolo x